HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My heater is taking forever to heat up. Cool is working fine…

Customer Question
My heater is taking forever...
My heater is taking forever to heat up. Cool is working fine cooling the house really quick. I really think it's setting related or wiring. The following jas been updated.I have a 2 story house with 2 zones
Heat pump: Model 38BYC060320
Air handler: Carrier FA4ANF060
2 Honeywell Wi-Fi thermostats TH6320WF02
Updated zone board from a Honeywell EMM-3U to a Honewell HZ221.I also have pictures of connections to old board and pics of thermostat wiring to help figure this out.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
I am usually at home by 7 pm CST.
Answered in 1 day by:
11/8/2017
HVAC Technician: Regan Land, HVAC Technician replied 6 months ago
Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to assist you today. I'll go over these pics and wiring and get back with recommendations shortly.

Thanks Regan.

No problem

As you suspected, there's a wiring issue. The old board allowed you to run heat pump with non-heat pump thermostats. The HZ221 requires HP thermostats. Luckily, you have the wires to connect properly. First, move the white wires from the thermostats to E/Aux at the HZ221. Then connect the orange wires to O at both the HZ221 and the thermostats. Then enter installer settings on thermostats and make sure they're set to heat pump with auxiliary heat. You should be good to go after that, but let me know if it's still not working.

I don't have orange wires connected to either the thermostat or hz221.
I created an oranbge wire, put it on "O" at the HZ221, and at the thermostat wiring on the wall, I connected the orange together with the White because it does not have a single spot for it. I sent you a pic of the wall wiring. It did not work, HZ221 has the heat/fan lit but no hot air.
Need to go to work. I get home at 7pm cst.

Sorry for the delay - yes, you will use the spare orange wire and connect it to O at the HZ211 and the thermostat. At the thermostat move the white wire to W2 (Aux/E) and put the orange wire on W (O/B). If it doesn't work after that then we will need to go into the programming in the thermostat and set it to a heat pump thermostat.

Thanks for the response Regan, I will try that once I get home tonight.

Sounds good, thanks!

These are my thermostat settings.
20171103_093431.jpg2017110...jpg20171103_093433.jpg2017110...jpg20171103_093434.jpg2017110...jpg20171103_093436.jpg2017110...jpg20171103_093438.jpg2017110...jpg
I'm getting heat but Aux Heat instead of heat pump. Did you see my thermostat settings?

Sorry again, just able to hop on now. Is the thermostat saying Aux heat? Is the outdoor unit running when calling for heat?

Yesterday night, the temp outside was around 43 degrees, the pump came on for like 10 seconds then the Aux Heat came on. Sorry not to disrespect but I'm getting answers a day after and really need to fix this issue. Have you looked at my thermost settings?
Are you available?
Regan Land
Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician