HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Will you find me a wifi thermostat that will keep temp +-1…

will you find me a...
will you find me a wifi thermostat that will keep temp +-1 degree of my setting of 74 degree.. ?
the cut-in/cut-out will be controlled by a timer instead of a wide 4 degree temp range
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/5/2017
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, most modern programmable thermostats have adjustable differential settings, most in the 1 to 2 degree F range, some in the 0.5F range, if yours is showing a 4 degree differential it may just be improperly programmed... get me the brand and model number from the back of the thermostat after you gently pry it from the wall and I will pull the manual for you if its available.

Also tell me what color of wire attaches to each lettered terminal on the wall mount plate that the thermostat is mounted on.... from that I will be able to specify a new thermostat.

honeywell model rth6580wf 1001terminal wire color
W2. Wht
G. Grn
W. Org
C. Blu
Y. Yel
R. Red
Rc Jumper to R term
terminal---- wire color
W2. ----------Wht
G. ------------Grn
W. --------------Org
C. ----------------Blu
Y. -----------------Yel
R. ----------------Red
Rc -----------------Jumper to R term

Thanks any thermostat described as:

24volt, 2 stage heat, 1 or 2 stage cool, conventional system will work. If you want to buy it at the local hardware store, all brands are good except Lux which seems to not last as long as the others.

If I specify one you may not be able to pick it up locally.... tell me if you want to order it on line or not, if you want to wait a day or two for it to arrive from online sources I will specify one for you.... prices range between $40 and a few hundred dollars depending on features.

Tell me which features you want:

Non programmable (simplest, cheapest)

Simple programmable, more complex to program but also not expensive

WIFI enabled controlled from smart phone ( several hundred dollars)

We can go from there.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally.. and with over 8,000 questions answered here since 2009, with a 98.5% satisfaction rating.

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

That said, I cannot guarantee that you will not do something unsafe, or cause damages. You take that risk.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

show me WIFI enabled controlled from smart phone
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
i can not find which one has a +-1 degree for cut-in/cut-out
my heatset point is 71 and cool set point is 74. there is always a 3 degrees between the points

All of those thermostats have differential settings, its covered in their lengthy installation manuals... most have differentials settable to 0.5F

click on a thermostat, then scroll to the bottom of the page for its manuals