HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have an old Vaillant oil burner and I was told the "Gun"

Good morning Contractor's Assistant:...

Good morning

Contractor's Assistant: Hello. How can I help?

I have an old Vaillant oil burner and I was told the "Gun" is gone

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Not long a few weeks I started to notice red oil leaking around the furance

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

No I had a Hvac guy come out and he told me the "gun" was gone ... and I needed to replace the entire furance I find that extreme but then again I'm no expert I'm just trying to find out what exactly is a GUN and why can't this part be replaced

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No that's all I was told...

11/2/2017
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

The burner is sometimes referred to as the gun. There's nothing else that would be called "the gun". I'd suggest you call a different company. Sounds like the one you have now is trying to pick your pocket. You would only replace the entire boiler if the boiler itself leaks. Most likely the "gun"/burner can be repaired if not then just the burner can be replaced.

Do you have more questions?

I contacted him and tried to pick his brain about this. He said their is an internal "head shield" or wall has almost deteriorated...plus the parts are hard to find because it's an old furance.... have you ever heard of this...

The chamber (head shield?) can be replaced with a generic universal version. Vailant specific parts are not available since the manufacturer abandoned the US market a decade ago BUT there are few if any parts that can't be replaced with a generic replacement (like this case). That said do you want to put ~$1000+ into this unit (if it needs a new burner too) or do you want to spend $7K or more for a new boiler. Your boiler could last another 10 years or more.

I would prefer to repair even if it's $1000.00 - $1500.00. I'm sorry he heat shield not head shield.

Ok, it's still the chamber. Get an estimate before they start work. This work is pretty predictable so the estimate should be on the money.
I'd appreciate afavorable rating

He gave me an estimate of almost $3000.00 for parts he doesn't have or located yet + labor and then he said they might have a hard time getting the "rusty" bolts off. LOL

Get more quotes. A chamber raplacement here in the Boston area is ~$600-700, new burner $1000+. High unlikely you need a new burner since all the burner parts can be replaced.

Please rate my service so I can get credit for my efforts

Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor