HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

On our heat pump the evaporator blower runs constant even…

On our heat pump...

On our heat pump the evaporator blower runs constant even when set to auto.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

New filters settings are fine. Unit is not running just fan motor. even when it is shut off

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I can

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I know of

10/26/2017
Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to assist you today. Does system heat okay when you set thermostat to call for heat?

AC also.

Thank you. I'm showing a payment failure - Just Answer should be sending you information on how to update your payment info. Let me know when that is complete and I'll resend the phone call request or continue here on this chat.

should be ready

Okay, thanks. It's not allowing me to offer the phone call just yet, but I will send once I can. In the mean time we can continue with the diagnostic. Can you please provide the model number of the air handler?

no not at this time I am at work and the unit is in our home 75 mi from here.
We have just purchased this home and I do know it looks like they have had the thermostat changed out. Could it be wired wrong?

It is possible - make sure the fan switch on the thermostat is set to auto and not on. The G terminal on the thermostat is the one that runs the blower - you can try removing the wire from the G terminal blower continues to run (thermostat wires are low voltage so they wont hurt you). If so, then the problem is not with the thermostat and could be a short in wiring between the thermostat and air handler, a sticking contact on a relay, a bad control board, etc. There are tests that we can do, but you'll need to be home of course.

I will be there Friday evening and weekend.I will look for g

Okay, sounds good. This question will remain open, so you can reply here.

Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician
dI had a HVAC company work on the unit and the fan motor relay was bad.
Thank You For your help.
Kimm
Thank you for the update! I’m happy it wasn’t anything too serious.