HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have an old lennox furnace that the pilot light won't stay…

I have an old...

I have an old lennox furnace that the pilot light won't stay lit. I have replaced the thermocouple. The pilot flame when lit is nice and correctly hitting the thermocouple. But it slowly loses flame and goes out. Also when the flame is good the gas control valve clicks like it should but no gas.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

Yes. They are clean.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes as I am disabled and retired but have worked in the heating and cooling while building houses.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That is all I can think of.

10/24/2017
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

Hello, one minute while I get some information together.

If you have replaced the thermocouple and the pilot is encompassing the last 1/4" of the thermocouple bulb good, then you just have a bad gas valve. That is common and can happen. I would suggest cleaning the pilot out really good as a last ditch effort. If it continues replace the valve.

All I ask is please select the ***5 STAR RATING*** using the link at the top of your page before leaving for my service. That will also allow you to come back to me right here anytime for as many FREE followup questions you have!

I have had the pilot tube off and cleaned the orifice while replacing the thermocouple. It burns good for about 20 seconds and then starts to go down to where it just goes out. It is a vr800c 1190 valve.

Yes just replace that valve it is bad and the magnet inside is weak and can not hold the pilot.

Is that why when it is burning properly when the furnace calls for heat it will click like the burners should come on but no flame? Do you know if the valve comes complete so it is just a swap out?

Yes that is exactly why that is happening. Yes it is a complete valve and yes just a swap out fairly simple.

CLICK HERE PART

Great. Thank you very much. I didn't ask if you sold parts or just give great advise. I found a used one with 90 day guarantee to get me by until I can get a new one.

OK cool!

HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Just wanted to let you know what the problem was so you can be aware of it - the gas meter was sticking is what Nicor said. Meter would work most of the time but she said it would stick and shut off gas supply. I never thought to check that until my Rinaii water heater wouldn’t run. Oh well live and learn.

That is truly an odd issue! Thanks for the unpdate