HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My Carrier 58MCB140-20 is producing no heat. The blower goes…

My Carrier 58MCB140-20 is...

My Carrier 58MCB140-20 is producing no heat. The blower goes on for just a few minutes.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

I replaced the filter 10 days ago, and I've reprogrammed the thermostat. It had been set to "hold."

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No, but it's late. I may need to call someone tomorrow. I don't see a pilot light--should I?

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't see a pilot light. Should I?

Answered in 1 minute by:
10/24/2017
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

There is no pilot.It lights electronically. Go to furnace an jump the Rand w on furnace board and let me know what comes on if anything

What is the Rand W?
I’ve got the R and W wires. How can I “jump” them? The connections are a bit different from your diagram. There is no screw connection.
The wires just plug in...

Do you have a pic you can attach? You can use needle nose pliers to jump

That is your zone control.Look in furnace you gave me model on

Bottom panel of furnace you will see the board I sent pic of

One more panel

Yep jump R to W and hold door button in to see if furnace will come on

That turned the blower on. But just until I let go of the door button.

Keep button in.Allow blower to stop.The see if inducer fan starts and furnace fires.Keep button in

Furnace fired. I’m still holding door button in.

OK we have now determined problem is nt with furnace.It is with thermostat or that zone panel you shoed me.Do you have a multi meter for testing voltage?

No.Could it be the programming of the thermostat?

Yes. Lets close up furnace and go to thermostat and do same.Jump R to W

Blower was on for a few minutes, now off. I’m at the thermostat

Jump R and W

Yes remove front to expose wires

Did you remove cover>No pic

OK tis is a two wire so no W here. e would need a meter to troubleshoot to see if we have 24 at the red and blue R and C at that zone cotroller.

you can get an inexpensive one at Walmart for about 15 bucks if you would like to troubleshoot and I would be happy to guide you.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Innova-3300-Equus-3300-Hands-free-Digital-Multimeter/14644665

Otherwise from ere you will need to get a tech on site

Okay. I’ll get one tomorrow, and I’ll get back in touch.At least I now know that it’s a thermostat issue. Thanks.
Check between R and C—on which panel? The thermostat control has no R and C wires.Between the R and C wires on the Zone Control, or on the furnace?
Got it. Thanks!

Thanks for letting me work with you

airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician