HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I'm from Santa Rosa where we are recovering from severe wild…

I'm from Santa Rosa...

I'm from Santa Rosa where we are recovering from severe wild fires burning for more than 2 weeks. We were evacuated for a week. We are home now (ours was spared).

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

My question has to do with running the AC. We are expecting 90+. There was considerable ash in the air from the fire, during which time our Bryant 350MAV did not run. Is there a special precaution when starting up the AC? My concern is the internal air quality (in pipes and other surfaces exposed to

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

I checked the filter and it looked clean. I planned to run for awhile and then clean filter again. Is their an AC recirculation step that would be wise to run for awhile? Home was exposed to heavy ash air for about 2 weeks now.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Only if it is simple. The system got a complete overhaul and safety check about 2 months ago and I have a special maintenance as needed contract. Would you recommend a system check before using the AC. We've been running the furnace and it seems normal.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

My concern is safely running the AC. Is there a recirculation mode that should be used for a while?

Answered in 1 minute by:
10/23/2017
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

If your system was off, there is absolutely no damage that ash can effect.

Had system been on you could have had ash or soot drawn over coils but if off, nothing to be concerned about.The refrigerant system itself is sealed.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.

airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician