HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

How can I find a possible fuse? I was installing a nest

How can I find...

How can I find a possible blown fuse? I was installing a nest thermostat and now it says no power deom

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

The R wire

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I was replacing an ecobee thermostat (which was working fine) with a Nest thermostat and now it says the R wire has no power

10/23/2017
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Can you give me model on indoor furnace or air handler so I can tell you where to look for fuse?

Bear with me. I’m just an army wife whose hubby is deployed. How can I find that out?
I’m very tech-y. Just need a little help being walked through this.

Gas or electric furnace?

I’m pretty sure it’s gas. I went outside and the A/C isn’t running.

If gas, remove top panel and look for a label inside for model.As for fuse it will be on a board in bottom panel.

Model will be on a label just above burners on right or left inside panel

http://i.imgur.com/U8b0GXT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/UxPpnn4.png

https://i.imgur.com/kYe4Epz.png

You mean on the outside A/C unit? I found a label and took a pic...

Fuse will be in inside nit

Unless you have a self contained.What is model you found?

RUUD A/C
Model # UAMB-060JAZ

OK you have a split system.Fuse is going to be inside

Inside where? The A/C unit that is outside? Or.....

Not outside.You will have an indoor unit somewhere in a closet,attic or basement.Locate the return where air goes in(Usually a filter grille)

https://imgur.com/a/Wgv9DFuse is green thing?

No mam,fuse would be purple if you have one.Look in burner area and get me model number.It will begin with letter R Like RPGH07EAUER or similar.I can verify if it has a fuse.

https://imgur.com/a/Wgv9DI think this is the info?

It will have a 3 on it.Looks like E

Yaaaaaassssss.https://imgur.com/a/YZiDW

That is your problem.Now let me ask a couple of questions.

1.Did you turn breaker off to furnace before starting

2.What wires did you connect to what terminals on Nest?

No I didn’t. :(. #shameonme
https://imgur.com/a/vpQj6

OK wiring looks good.Nothing there that would blow fuse.ou may have let blue and red touch and popped fuse.One note though Nest recommends RH instead of RC.Also move white up to W1

You can get a fuse at hardware store or auto parts store and that should solve your problem

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.

airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! I feel pretty good doing this by myself with a little help as well, so thanks so much.

Move red to RH

Move white to W1Replace fuse.You should be good.

Will do. Thanks so much!

Thanks for letting m help.Remember if you have further questions just et me know