HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My daughter in law has a National U.S. Radiator boiler

#5-11B. The exhaust pipe...
My daughter in law has a National U.S. Radiator boiler #5-11B. The exhaust pipe seems to have an opening in the front which does allow for some air intake. A boiler contractor looked at the set up and was concerned that something was missing on top of the exhaust pipe. I do have a picture of the existing boiler and exhaust pipe (not sure how to add it). The contractor was hoping we could find a picture on the internet of a correctly installed vent so he would know what to do. Any suggestions
10/20/2017
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

Ok, this is a very old boiler so I have no idea what your contractor is referring to without a picture of the exhaust piping in question.

Click on the link below for info on posting pics here

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Indeed something is missing. The problem is that this boiler is so old you'll never find the part that's missing. This question is what to do now. Basically what this boiler needs is a draft diverter. At one time we used what's called a box diverter which could be installed in the pipe between the boiler and the chimney. It's probably been 20+ years since I used a box diverter so I don't know if they are even still available. Have your boiler guy call around to his suppliers and ask. Next option would be it install a common bell type diverter (see attached pic) in place of the damaged fitting. This would raise the height of the pipe so a new hole would have to be punched into the chimney (no big deal). The bell diverter is common and should be readily available.

Thanks, ***** ***** your advice.

You're welcome. I'd appreciate a favorable rating. Please use the stars at the top of the page to rate my service

Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor