HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a takagi tankless water heater that is used for in…

Customer Question
I have a takagi...

I have a takagi tankless water heater that is used for in floor heat. it makes a really loud noise when it starts up. no always, but often. originally it did it all the time, but we reset some dip switches and it was better. last year we found an air intake that was covered. we took the cover off and it was better, but it still does it sometimes.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

All fine.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No, I would happily hire someone, but no one seems to know anything.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I called the technician that was recommended on their web site as knowing about takagi, but all he suggested was flushing the lines. that was done early on and it didn't help. it does it on startup, not after it runs for awhile. it was installed almost 10 years ago and has always made the noise. I am thinking of selling the house next year and don't know how to explain the noise to a buyer. I have another one that is used for my in house hot water and it has never made that noise.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
10/20/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 8 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If that loud noise is like a bang then you're decribing delayed igniton. Delayed ignition is almost always caused by dirty burners. The combustion chamber and burners should be cleaned especially if it's never been done in 10 years.