HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My fireplace will light up and then just go off. Lennox.? Do…

Customer Question
My fireplace will light...

My fireplace will light up and then just go off.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, what type of fireplace is this?

Lennox

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

?

Contractor's Assistant: What confuses you?

Do i continue to describe the problem?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: HVAC
10/20/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 11 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

What's the model number of your fireplace?

Majestic DVRT39

If you have electronic ignition and the main burner fires up then goes out you have a flame sensing problem. This could be a grounding problem. You'd need a continuity tester to check it

What is a continuity tester?
Also, a grounding problem meaning the wall switch? Or corroded wiring?

The flame sensor needs good continuity to work properly. The flame heats up the sensor and generates a tiny electrical current. If the ground is less than perfect you'll get the type of problem you describe. A continuty tester is used to check the integrity of the ground. This has nothing to do with the wall switch. It's possible for corrosion to affect the ground. It sounds like you might want to consider calling in a pro to check this out.

Ok. So, the grounding issue is actually a wiring and electric problem? Therefore, a continuity tester could detect more accurately?
The ground is the ground wire?

Yes, you must have good continuity between the ground wire and the ignition cable. Yes this is a very low DC amperage electrical issue.