HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a strange loud seeet odor smell coming from my AC

vents. It makes you sick...
I have a strange loud seeet odor smell coming from my AC vents. It makes you sick when you walk in the house..
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: It just started tonight when I came home from work. It didn’t smell this way before I left for work this morning..
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I had an AC leak because the drain was backed up for about a month or so..
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: It was going on for about a month. I got it fixed about a week ago
10/20/2017
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Are you in Heat mode or Cool mode and does unit seem to be working properly?

airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cool mode. The unit is working fine

Anythig you can relate the odor to ? Smells like? Plastic burning?Dirty laundry? wires burning?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No not really. It may smell like something sweet is burning.. I really don’t know.

OPen panel on indoor unit and see if it smells stronger near the motor or control board

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I left the house because the smell was wayyy to strong. But my unit is in the garage and the odor is strongest where the unit actually is.

Wow wish they was a way to post smells on the internet.Only thing I can think of sweet smelling would be possibly plastic or motor windings overheating,but unit would not be working properly. There is nothing near the intake grille it can be picking up and circulating is there?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No sir

Turn thermostat from COOL to OFF and fan to ON instead of auto and see if smell is better worse or same

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When you say not properly working, what do you mean?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did that already and the smell kind of went away.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It got better

If it were motor windings or a control board getting hot, it would not be blowing cool air

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh. Yea it was cool when I walked in the house..

Next do this. Turn breaker OFF to outdoor unit so outdoor will not come on, then go back to COOL and Auto at thermostat and see if it goes back worse.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m not at the house. But if it gets worse what does that mean?

If smell is stronger in COOL mode but outdoor on, most likely an issue with the motor as we will be on a different rpm.

That should say with outdoor NOT on

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If the smell is the same then what?

Then we turn breaker back on so refrigerant is pumping through system and see if it goes back strong with outdoor unit running.If yes, then most likely related to the refrigerant or coil

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it deadly?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I mean the smell and inhaling it?

As long as refrigerant is not leaking it will not be anything deadly.Refrigerant on it's own is odorless so I doubt it is refrigerant.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Why does it make you feel dizzy when you inhale the smell?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could it be the Freon?

Freon itself has no odor but if they added dye or anything if they were hinting a leak it could be.If it makes you dizzy I don't recommend staying overnight .I would get a tech out asap to determine source

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. Thanks.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What should I do when I get home tomorrow? I turned the AC off from the thermostat

Personally I recommend getting an onsite tech to determine and eliminate source asap

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay! Thanks!!

If you have time, please follow up and let me know results.You can come back to question for 30 days at no additional fee.

Phone call session started

Trying to call.Wanted to know if they had to ad frown when they were there.

AS per our phone discussion please follow up and let me know results

airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician