HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Carrier unit. Inside works fine, tstat "clicks" but outside…

Carrier unit. Inside works fine...
Carrier unit. Inside works fine, tstat "clicks" but outside nothing. Contactor switch won't close. I can manually depress and all seems fine. As soon as I release, nothing. I let sit overnight last night. THis morning and fired back up and everything seemed fine....then outside unit shut down. same symptoms. Thx!
10/19/2017
Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician

Hi I am Gaztech1, a independent technician, I will assist you with your issue.

Don't forget to rate the 5 star rating AT THE TOP OF PAGE after we are done. this will credit me for assisting you.

Do you have a volt meter to check if AC outside has 24 volts present at the 2 wire coming from inside

i checked that, and with switch open, there is 0 voltage when touching the side contacts for coil

Do not check at contactor, check a the thermostat type wire that enters the outside unit

standby
My thermostat wires run directly to a single harness that plugs into the electrical board. I do have a yellow/ brown wire coming to a terminal on the side of the contactor and a yellow/ blue wire plugging into the other side plug on the contactor. But none of my wires from in side T stat go to the contactor directly

Im back

OK, thats not a AC its a heat pump.

now check for 24 volts between blue and yellow at wires coming from inside. the wire with the blue nut connector

Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician
I just tried you and it's coming up as a Quebec Canada number I can't make that call on my cell phone
Thanks again for Your help! After bypassing switch I investigated the switch and found the plunger just loose so it was dropping down into the cavity and shutting it off. I tighten the plunger rewired it and everything works great!