HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I HAVE A WHIRLPOOL HOT WATER HEATER WITH A HONEYWELL

FLAMABLE VAPOR SENSOR LOCKOUT....
I HAVE A WHIRLPOOL HOT WATER HEATER WITH A HONEYWELL FLAMABLE VAPOR SENSOR LOCKOUT. MY BASEMENT GOT 2 TO 4 INCHES OF WATER DUE TO RECENT HEAVY RAINS AND APPEARS TO HAVE TRIGGERED THE LOCKOUT. MY QUESTION IS HOW DO I RESET IT?
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: THE RAIN WAS SATURDAY, WE NOTICED THE HOT WATER HEATER NOT WORKING LAST NIGHT.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: YES. I'VE BEEN A HANDYMAN FOR 16 YEARS AND HAVE INSTALLED SEVERAL HOT WATER HEATERS AS WELL AS MANY OTHER HOME REPAIRS
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: ITS A HONEYWELL 24 VOLT CONTROL. THE WATER APPARENTLY GOT INTO THE BOTTOM OF THE UNIT, SO THE INSULATION IS WET. I DID THE ORIGINAL INSTALLATION 3 TO 4 YEARS AGO.
10/16/2017
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Sounds like the flamable vapr sensor got wet and caused the lockout. If the sensor gets wet you have to replace it. You probably won't be able to reset it until it's replaced. Is this a power vented or a conventionally vented unit?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Power vented

Ok, the most likely reset procedure is to power the unit down wait a minute then power it back up then turn the temp dial all the way up then all the way down 7 times within 30 seconds then set it where you want.

If you have an ohom meter you can test the resistance across the 2 leads to the sensor. Between 9K & 45K ohms is within spec

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your help.

You're welcome

Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Rick
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor