HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I installed an Ecobee3 thermostat and it was working fine

for cool air. Now when...
I installed an Ecobee3 thermostat and it was working fine for cool air. Now when there is a call for heat, my furnace is flashing 4 times on the control board. This furnace is brand new. It was installed last July. I changed the filter, opened all air vents, but the error persists. Blower is not going down, and keeps running cold air. I checked the limit switch and it's ok, multi-meter shows normal frequency. Any idea what could be disrupting the burners ?
10/16/2017
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

My name is Billy.

What is the model number of the furnace?

Does blower run nonstop even if thermostat turned off?

Does cooling work still?

Model number is: RGF1L060AP12MP11A
If I turn the furnace down and turn it on after 5/10 minutes, it will work normally for 1 or 2 hours. System keeps the temperature ok (around 72F), when the furnace needs to run again (like, during the night, when the temperature goes down), it turns on, but there is no heat, so the blower is running with the 'normal' air only.
So, the led on the control board shows 4 blinks. I checked on the manual and it says:
"4 RED FLASHES: This indicates that the main limit switch has opened its normally closed contacts. The control will operate the supply air blower and inducer while the open limit condition exists. Check for a dirty filter, improperly sized duct system, incorrect blower speed setting, incorrect firing rate, loose limit switch wiring or faulty blower motor. If the limit switch has not closed within five minutes, the control will assume that the blower is not functioning, will start a hard lockout and will begin to flash the 11 Red Flashes error code. Power will have to be cycled off and on to reset the control after the problem has been corrected. See “11Red Flashes” description below. If the main limit switch opens five times within a single call for heat, the
control will also indicate 4 Red Flashes and will enter a one-hour soft lockout."
As I said this furnace is brand new and works fine for cold air.

OK,

so this is the first heating season for the furnace correct?

when installed did the installer set proper blower speeds for heating?

it sounds like you need more blower speed or bigger ductwork. Is this the same size as was in previously?

I was not at home during the installation, but yes the ducts are the same from previous. The old one was really old.
It's still on warranty, should I call him back to check the blower speed ? Is there anything I can do to check it ?

you need to call the installer back and explain "it is running on limit".

The installer will adjust the blower speeds and hopefully make the unit run cooler than it is.

Right now the unit is running hotter than designed..

The wise choice is have serviced while under warranty, and do not make any changes yourself.

Billy

Thank you Billy. I'll call them.

You are very welcome.

Please rate service (5 star system) to close.

In the event you have any questions after the unit is serviced let me know. After rating you have 30 days follow up

Billy

BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech