HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a "new to the industry" Lennox ducted mini split

I have a "new to...
I have a "new to the industry" Lennox ducted mini split system for our upstairs bedrooms. ....so registers and cold air returns in are in the rooms I want cooled except no cold air returns in bathrooms. We do not have separate "indoor wall mounted units" like the original mini splits. Ducting unit is in my attic while the mini split unit is outside. We are having a very difficult time trying to figure out how to to stabilize the temperature. It's as if the thermostat is just there to tell it, pump cold air all the time without stopping (Cold mode regardless of what temp we selected) or hot air all the time regardless of temp selected. In AUTO mode it's even more if a mystery. We just can't figure out the relationship. For example, last nite outside temp fell to about 58. Thermostat was set in auto and temp displayed/selected was 72. The room had to be close to 76-78. Do you have any recommendations? Will a standard thermostat work and make it act like a normal furnace/as.....kicking on and off based in temp set? Thanks.
10/16/2017
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

What s the model on the unit?It sounds like sensor is not recognizing temp in room.How is it controlled now?Using a remote or mounted stat?

Outdoor unit is Lennox MPA 018S4S-1PWe use a wall mounted unit
Lennox M0STAT61Q-1

Are you operating in DRY mode when this happens?

No. We typically just match the mode with the season. The temperature of the room is usually at the extreme end of that also. Meaning if we set it to 74 during the summer if feels like it’s 68 to 70. Vice versa for the winter. Because of this we put it in auto to see if it controls better. No such luck.Will a traditional pump “heat pump approved” thermostat work? Just curious.

Unfortunately you can nit use a conventional heat pump stat

Ok. Figured I'd ask just in case. So you opinion is the sensor within the Lennon stat has gone bad and we need a new start or is the sensor you mentioned somewhere else? Thanks for your help by the way.

The wiring diagram shows an indoor sensor, but I believe that is used when you have a wireless remote.With a wired controller the sensor should be in the thermostat controller

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.

Well the stat comes with a hand held remote too, but we never use it.

Can you control the unit with the remote? And if so, does it cycle properly or do same as when controlled by wired stat?

Like I said, we never use it. I’m mean is if a remote for the stat or is it in itself it’s own separate stat and the two are competing/confusing each other?

Remove batteries from remote and see if it makes a difference

airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician