HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a newer model Armstrong oil forced air furnace. I

I have a newer model...
I have a newer model Armstrong oil forced air furnace.
I want to get a procedure for getting it ready for the winter heating season. Maintenance, conditioning oil supply, etc..
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/15/2017
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You need to call your oil burner service company and have the burenr tuned up. Theyshould replaced the oil filter and vacuum the soot out of the furnace as well as doing a combustion test to properly set the burner. Air filter should be changed. Generally not need to condition the oil unless the tank is outdoors. If it's an old atnk a bottle of sludge/moisutre disperant is a good idea. There are several brands. They all do the job. Whatever you local plumbing supply house carries will be fine or you can have the burner guy treat the tank.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The HVAC companies here locally really do not want to service this unit. They want to sell me a new natural gas furnace, which I do not the money for at this time.
I am a competent tradesperson. I have installed many natural gas boilers and furnaces for new construction. However, I am unfamiliar with oil heat, which is why I used the service to tell me how to get ready for winter use. I moved into the house in mid-winter, and it worked fine, and is working well now. I am just concerned what a normal PM is on this kind of furnace.Just call the plumber is not the answer I was looking for. I can replace the filter, it is in plain sight, and I replace the air filter several times a season. The oil tank is outside; I will treat the tank with AV-942 when I have it topped off next week.But I have questions on exactly how to do the service. Do I have to bleed air out of the line after I change the filter ? Can I judge the flame by color ? I can vacuum out the blower and duct work, not a problem. Plan to lubricate the squired cage if the bearings are not sealed. Anything else ?

I didn't say call a plumber I said call a oil burner tech. You can't do a proper tune up without very expensive test equipment. The days of eyeballing a burner flame went away 30 years ago. Whoever you buy oil from has burner techs on call

Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK. Will handle it.
Regards...Ed A

Thanks for using Just Answer

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Rick was courteous and professional. However, he did not tell me anything I did not already know.
Rick
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor