HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I live in a rental home with a Carrier system Model

I live in a...

I live in a rental home with a Carrier system Model CD5BXA030000AAA, serial #1896X41060. I have A LOT of questions; however, right now, I’d like to know why I am seeing a steady RED light through the circular window on the lower panel of the unit?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

I’ve spent an hour and a half Texting with my contractor brother-in-law in Hawaii trying to FIND THE FILTERS. I couldn’t find any filters on the unit!

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I don’t know that it NEEDS any work. I just need to know what the steady RED means...does it indicate a problem? I live in Northern California where all the wildfires are devastating our county. Luckily, my house hasn’t burned down like so many others. I was trying to find out if I turned on the A/C would I be drawing the smoke-filled air into my home.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of. I just want to know what the steady RED light means. Thank you.

Anyone there? It’s 11:00 PM here in California...it’s been a tough week, I need to go to sleep soon. Thanks!
Hi...I’d like to cancel my question. It is now 11:35 PM and I’ve not heard from anyone. PLEASE do NOT charge my credit card for ANY amount since I have not had any professional contact with an HVAC technician through JUST ANSWER. Thanks anyway!
Please respond...
Jo
10/15/2017
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Russ here. Just got question. The steady red light is not a problem that is normal operation. You are OK. Russ

Russ, I just spent a 1/2 hour writing to you. Did you get that communication? I was smart enough to copy and paste what I wrote; however, I can’t seem to PASTE it here! Thanks for asking how I am...I’m OK. As I said in that reply, I am preparing to leave my home for the first time in 7-8 days to attend a family memorial service about 1.5 hours south of here. I don’t have time to retype my questions right now. How much time do I have... assuming I am paying for your services? Thanks! ~Jo

Just got response. The red light is steady on for normal. Russ

Thanks for the response about RED being normal! Did you get my other questions about Carrier filter locations and poor air flow? If not, I’ll try to type it all again when I return from the memorial. ~Jo

No did not get that question. Type again please.Russ

Russ, I will do that later tonight or early tomorrow. Thanks for your patience and understanding. ~ Jo

No problem.

Also need furnace model to left of burner. The number you gave was Coil number on top. Russ

Is one of these numbers, the number you want, Russ?
PRODUCT: 58PAV070—16112
MODEL: 58PAV070— 12
SÉRIES: 161
SERIAL: 2496A05662
My questions are, as follows:
(1) Where are the filters in this system? The only one I can find is in the hallway RETURN vent...appears to be a HEPA (washable) filter.
I don’t see ANY filters close to or inside the CARRIER unit in the garage!(2) My air flows (both heating and cooling) are awful...that is, very VERY inconsistent flow: my bathroom is the best (seems TO ME to be ‘’normal’’; the bedroom air flow is almost non-existent. Those two (2) vents are about 13 feet apart and almost directly in line with each other. The flows in the rest of the house are very low: two (2) in living room, dining room area (L-shaped), one in the kitchen, one in the second bathroom, one in a small bedroom I use as an office.This is a duplex, off-hand I’ve forgotten the square footage (it is not huge...1300, at most, I think), The ceilings are between 9 to 9.5 feet high, except the LR/DR area which is 10.5.I’ll stop here and await any other questions you may have for me. Thanks, Russ. ~Jo

The 12 in the model number indicates 1200 cfm. The reasons you may not be getting enough air flow is stopped up filers which you have checked or stopped up cooling coil. The coil you will have to have a tech check that for you. The hepa filter should be checked and replaced if needed. The vent where you replace your filter should be atlas 24X23 filter. Russ

I don’t quite understand, Russ. The only filter I have found, and cleaned is the 14x30 in the RETURN vent in my hallway.
(1) Would I (me) be able to tell, by looking at it, if that filter needed to be replaced?(2) Aren’t there some other filters in the system besides the above-mentioned filter inside the house? Up in the attic maybe?(3) There are no filters that I can see when I open the two (2) panels on the front of the Carrier unit in the garage!
There’s a large hole cut out between the lower panel area and the ‘’metal box’’ that is attached to the left side of the Carrier unit. That ‘’metal box’’ is essentially empty. The only thing in there is the large duct that runs out of the top and up through the ceiling in the garage. Does that empty area get filled with hot and/or cool air? If so, how does it get pushed or pulled up the large duct?(4) Where is the cooling coil located? Outside?(5) What is the location of the VENT that needs the ATLAS 24x33 filter?(6) Can you refer me to a website that will show me pictures or a diagram of the filter locations?Thanks. ~Jo

The cooling coil is located on top of furnace. The filter in the hall way may be the only filter you have in system. Sometimes they will add a box on side if furnace for a Electronic air filter or large 4 inch filter. If you could attach a photo of the side of furnace . Russ

Hope the attached series of five (5) images helps you, Russ. Thanks. ~Jo
9BA87988-A178-4FB5-B7E6...jpeg9BA879...jpeg8D6E2209-4814-4678-9C77...jpeg8D6E22...jpeg90B26B1F-9D7E-4818-8A05...jpeg90B26B...jpeg47910C5F-F6F7-409C-BE60...jpeg47910C...jpeg8E34034E-2D61-4C11-A686...jpeg8E3403...jpeg

The box on side is just a return air box no filter. The cooling coil on top of furnace. You have to remove the furnace vent and front panel to clean coil. The filter goes inside in return air grille. You really need an HVAC tech to clean the coil. Can get complicated and you need to remove vent pipe to access. Russ

Thanks very much, Russ. I guess this is the end of our communications. I do appreciate your patience. I guess it is time to find out if my landlord will cover my HVAC expenses and call in an HVAC tech. One last question: do you know if our conversation thread will be available to me online after we conclude our communications? Thank you. ~Jo

Yes it will just back with me for followup. Russ

I think I understand. Thanks, Russ. ~Jo

I opened rate box for you and please get back with me on followup. Russ

gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician