HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

We have a Carrier A/C with Carrier TP-PRH01 thermostat. Set…

We have a Carrier...

We have a Carrier A/C with Carrier TP-PRH01 thermostat. Set on hold, auto, cooling.75 dgr. A/C will run for a while and go dark.Cooling stops. eventually it will light up and cooling will begin and will repeat this. The temp is around 79 or 80. With all ceiling fans running it is tolerable. F

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

I suspect he thermostat, but compressor may be cycling. But why does the thermostat go dark? It is always lightly lit up and brightens when door is opened.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depend. I printed out the thermostat manual online. I have never used the programming. I am a mechanical eng and do most of my stuff but not the A/C. I need fall checkup any way.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't need programmable Thermo. Cheap will do.

10/8/2017
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Russ here. I think your problem is stopped up drain. AC will run for awhile and drain will backup shut down thermostat . Drain down and thermostat comes back on. Float switch is drain line and has 2 wires going to it. Take a shop vac if you have one and go to where drain comes out of house usually by the outside not. Suck out drain and retry unit. Russ

Usually by the outside unit. Russ

The was a drip coming out but I SUCKED IT OUT WITH VAC AND THERE WAS alot of water that came out .It is running, yay!
Will hope it is still running a half an hour and more. Thank you. Gene Kamp

Russ here. Good job. I will open the rather box for you. Russ

Everything ok I will open rate box for you. Thanks

gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician