HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a RUUD RTG-53DVP tankless water heater and just

Customer Question
started getting error code 11...
I have a RUUD RTG-53DVP tankless water heater and just started getting error code 11 using the hot water system, I was using the system and it was fine and then went to a lower water volume and then no hot water. I changed the control system under warranty in 12/3/13 and have not had any problems since. What direction do I go? I have a generator on same line and works fine with same regulator. What has changed in the unit?
JA: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?
Customer: No error messages before and the appliance was installed 12/8/08.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have extensive computer and on hands experience with mechanical and related issues and installed the whole house and everything in it including the tankless system.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: HVAC
10/7/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 3 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, so far it sounds like the flow switch inside the water heat is tripping when water flow drops below ~0.7 gpm.... also, if its 9 years old and has not been flushed with white vinegar to get rid of the hard water scale build up, you will have that problem.

Test: turn on 2 hot water taps at once and tell me if the hot water heater stays on or not,

We can go from there

.

A bit about myself

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... 56 years in this business. Last 20 consulting for major firms nationally. 98.4% satisfaction rating on Just Answer.

Problem solved before I got this. Refund my money. Thanks for the response.
Sincerely,
Pete Phillips
Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer