HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a new trane XT95 model TUH1B080A9H31CA with a contant…

Customer Question
I have a new trane...
I have a new trane XT95 model TUH1B080A9H31CA with a contant Torque ecm fan motor ( not variable ecm) and air conditioner. Connected to a Nest Thermostat .
I would like the option of a low circulating fan on during the off heat cycle. Currently I can run the blower fan on I think on the air conditioning speed as manual mode by selecting this option on the thermostat... which has Y1 black, W1 white, Rh red, and ground to G,
I'm a retired gas fitter and pipeline inspector from a Natural gas distributor ...
Will I have to install a relay like in the older fan motors to achieve this as I could not find this option on the XT95 as compared to a trane with variable speed ecm
Thanks Al
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/6/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 10 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Let me investigate a bit.Be with you shortly

Unfortunately you will not be able to do what you are wanting to do with the ecm motor as it is high voltage powered but low voltage controlled through the electronic board.I know that is not what you want to hear but I can only provide correct information

It does have 4 speed taps that can be used... so how to use the low speed for manual on...

I understand what you are saying. The only way to get low speed to run in fan ON mode is going to be to select low speed for ac. The board automatically runs the cool speed for fan on.

I guess old school add on switch on the furnace with a relay to run low speed... without frying the board...lol

Yes but you need to check the exact specs on the ecm motor to determine if the voltage needs to be low ac or if it is dc control voltage.Some of these boards send 24 volts to tap and others send dc voltage to tap

Ok so my best bet is to contact trane as brochure said that this was available but did not specify at what speed

To be sure, I would contact Trane as online specs can be misleading.With complete model and serial, they can be more definitive.

Each letter or number in model and serial indicate a specific spec and even in the middle of a manufacturing run they will change a part.

I often find as a contractor when I Google specs, parts come up wrong .