HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

We’ve had a new Lennox sl280 furnace, heat pump and pureair…

Customer Question
We’ve had a new...

We’ve had a new Lennox sl280 furnace, heat pump and pureair system installed to help with my breathing problems. When the new system started we had an obnoxious burning smell which the installer said was the oil that covered some of the parts burning off. We were told it would last a couple of hours. It’s been two days and the system has filled the house with this burning smell. They suggested opening the windows for a while, running the fan continually, but nothing has helped. My throat and lungs feel burned. The Pureair system is not helping at all. We spent so much money on this we are frustrated and upset. The installers say they don’t even smell it but everyone entering our home starts coughing from the smell and smoke! What is wrong and what do we do? This is a Lennox certified installer

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

This is a brand newPureair system with brand new filters. It’s a brand new thermostat. I’m a customer and have no idea how to check or repair something shouldn’t the installer do that? I’m asking here because we were told this is oil burning off and would go away in a short time. After two days that hasn’t happened. Has anyone experienced this with a lennox sl280 furnace or Pureair system?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No. As I just said this is a new installed furnace. I’m asking here about these products because we are being told by a certified lennocpx dealer that they don’t smell anything?

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I’ve explained everything! New furnace Lennox sl280, new heat pump that’s top of the signature line, and new Pureair cleaner just installed. We also had some new ductwork installed

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/6/2017
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 7 months ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Russ here. Understand your frustration. Ask for the FSR to come and check system.(Field Service Rep). Also if system is not operating as promised just ask them to come and remove it and get another system. This is a heat pump and they should be no odor at all. With purr should be a perfect indoor air quality. Some thing is wrong and needs to be address before it make you ill. Russ

That is what I’ve been telling my husband we should do. But the company is sending out the salesman we worked with on Wednesday! I think it’s obvious they don’t think there’s really anything wrong but we can’t live in there till Wednesday to persuade them to do something. Have you ever experienced a new system still burning the oil off the new parts after two days? Thank you for your response.

Only for a few seconds. But it goes away. You have problem. Go on;in to Lennox customer support and complain. What you describe does not seem right. Russ

Call Lennox customer service 1-***-***-****. Do not be nice your dealer is not taking care of you. Russ

gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician