HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I'm getting an error code c8 13 on my Raheem tankless. The…

Customer Question
I'm getting an error...

I'm getting an error code c8 13 on my Raheem tankless. The air filter is clean, there are no obstructions in the vent, and I even went as far as to remove the burner and clean that as well. It runs for about 3 minutes then shuts off and displays c8 13. Any ideas?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

The thermostat is set at 120, and I cleaned both the air and water filters

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Yesterday it displayed c7 13 and c4 13, but they have disappeared since I flushed the system and cleaned everything

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
10/5/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 10 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

A 13 error is an oxygen depletion error. So either you have too little air for combustion or the OD sensor has failed

Where is the of sensor located?

What's the model number of your unit?

Where is the heater located? In a confined space? If it's drawing combustion air from indoors it need a pretty big wide open area.

It's in the basement, I can have the model number in 5 minutes for you

How big is the unrestricted (no doors to close) area in contact with the unit?

It's at least 200 square feet
The model number is *****

That's woefully inadequate. For a typical tankless with an input of ~200k btu's you need ~1200 square feet. I doubt the sensor is the problem. You have to get more combustion air into that space.

The entire basement is at least 1200. It's been running great for the last 8 years so I think a bad sensor sounds logical

If you don't have a door open to the rest of the basement it doesn't matter how big it is. Give me a few to see if I can find specs for thsi model.

The basement is open. I misunderstood you. There is no door between the room it's in and the rest of the basement
If I chose to replace the OD sensor where would I find it on the unit?

I can't find any specs on your unit it's too old.