HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Just started, Yes I do once I am certain which of the two…

Customer Question
Just started Contractor's Assistant:...

Just started

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes I do once I am certain which of the two wires goes where...

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I think I have supplied adequate detail

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/5/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 10 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

What does this pertain to? Your description gives no indicatio of what these wires are connected to

Switching over a Honeywell t86a7x103a1 to a Nest Thermostat E

Sounds like this controls heat only so connect to R & W. Color coding is typically red to R & white to W. You'll probably also need a C (24 volt common) connection.

Hmmmm.... There are only two wires connected to the thermostat one black one white

Then black to R white to W is likely but you need a 24 volt common, a third wire to power the Nest. You also need to be sure the black is 24 v hot. If it isn't it's easy enough to switch black and white if you get an error. What type of equipment is this controling. Are you sure it's compatible with the Nest. If not I need as much info as you can provide about your heating equiment

Just checked downstairs there’s a two zone controller red goes to black in all instances and white is common.

Ok so you still need a 24 volt common wire to C on the thermostat. What do you have for a zone controller?

It’s a Honeywell unit I did not take note of the model #
Argo Industries ARM861-3DP

You need to run a 3rd wire for your C connection. I can't find specs on your relay. Can you run a new wire to the thermostat?

Turns out the C wire is entirely unnecessary here. There is adequate power on the R wire to maintain the Nest Thermostat E’s charge.

That makes it easier. The newer Nests usually requires a C. I'd appreciate a favorable rating