HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My American standard furnace (freedoms 95 comfort R) Not…

My American standard furnace...

My American standard furnace (freedoms 95 comfort R)

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

Not making heat. Yep checked the filters. When I power on the furnace it's giving me 4

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Blinks of the red LED

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just that everything else appears to be working properly. Fan blows. It no hotnair

10/5/2017
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Russ here . One moment and I will check fault codes

According to google, it's "open high limit device"

Yes. I just had to pull up manual. This is a 95% furnace . It will be rollout or limit. Check the round switch on the burner compartment. It is manual reset. Switch about size of a quarter with a small button in middle. Russ

The switch will have a yellow wire attached. Russ

Once you reset switch you will need to turn power off to furnace to reset faults. Russ

All good. Had already powered down before resetting. All seems to be working now as it should.

Good work. You made it easy. Sometimes a high wind will cause the rollback. Hope I helped . I will open rating box. Again great job. I am impressed.

gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Unfortunately it stopped working after about an hour. I reset the switch again and it worked for another hour, and is now blowing cold air again. I've turned off the furnace for the night.
Any suggestions?

Check for trash in inlet or outlet of flue vents. Direct dobbers,birds nest ect.

Will do when I have daylight tomorrow

OK. Russ

All right. I cleaned out what I believe to be the PVC inlet and outlet pipes on the exterior of the house (come out of side wall about 30 feet from furnace), and I've reset the limit switch and restarted the furnace again. There was some grass and bid nest debris in what I think is the inlet pipe. Blowing hot air without a fault code for the moment, not sure if it will last. Are the other places I should be cleaning inlets or outlets closer to the furnace?

No that is it for now. How is it going. Also high winds will effect the furnace. Russ

Has been working perfectly since the intake was cleaned out. No more tripping of the limit switch. I think we've now addressed the underlying issue. Will be replacing the caps on the inlet and outlet to insure this doesn't happen again.

Great . Good job. Russ