HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a 25 year old KeepRite overhead furnace in my garage…

Customer Question
I have a 25...

I have a 25 year old KeepRite overhead furnace in my garage model UFK 110GSS that will not come on. There is power to the unit, the thermostat is working, the pilot light is on and I have replace the thermocouple. Is it possible the natural gas control valve is not working? Last spring it was working fine and I turned the thermostat to 5 degrees over the summer. When I turned the thermostat up today the burners would not come on.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

The thermostat is working fine. I have traced the circuit to the furnace control valve. I think the gas control valve on the overhead furnace has malfunctioned. Does this happen?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have done all I can - will probably have to call a furnace technician in. Just trying to see if I am missing something.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

This furnace has given me problems in the past - I have had to replace the sequencer white - 29 three time. It seems they only last 4to 6years. That is not the problem this time.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
10/5/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 10 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Do you get voltage to the gas valve when thermostat calls for heat?

There is no voltage from the thermostat. It is an old mercury switch.

Valve has to get voltage before it will open.Thermostat sends that voltage to valve. Is this a millivolt or 24 volt system?

The thermostat is merely a switch opening and closing the crcuit

This is costing me too much money. First a $49 for a type written answer and now another $32 to talk to you on the phone. I think I will just call a furnace technician

Phone call offer is auto generated by site.You do not need to accept. If you want help I am here to guide you just let me know

Thanks, I'll work through this with the help of a local furnace technician.

OK