HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

How's going? I got a house like 8 months ago. Its got a

Customer Question
How's going? I got...

How's going? I got a house like 8 months ago. Its got a Rheem HVAC unit for heat that has a natural gas line. I am afraid I do not know the exact model number of anything like that, but I know I got a Rheem HVAC unit. So I am waiting for the natural gas company to show up and I just want to make sure that to "light" the pilot lot, I take the central unit control down to the lowest setting and then gradually bring it up to see if the heat kicks on. I have been reading up on these RHEEM models and none of them seem to have a pilot light to physically lit. The home is only like three years old construction.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Filters in the wall?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I think the gas company is just coming to inspect the line and turn on the gass.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't think so... The unit is in the addict...addic...the damn ceiling space...good lord I am a moron... I don't use natural gas for anything other than heat.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
10/4/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 10 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You're right, newer units don't have a pilot they use HSI (hot surface ignition) to fire up the burners. All you have to do is turn the thermostat up (above room temp) with it set on HEAT and the furnace should respond. If the gas has been off for a while there my be air in the lines so it might not ignite the first try. If that happens you need to turn the thermostat to OFF or turn it down and try again until it fires up.