HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Venmar HE 1.8 that acts dead. There is power to the…

Customer Question
I have a Venmar...

I have a Venmar HE 1.8 that acts dead. There is power to the unit, but nothing lights up on the control pad with humidistat. Where do I look next?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

Nothing functions. The humidistat control knob does nothing. The filter block has been in and out with no result. The intake and outlet covers in the unit both remain open.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

P{robably so because there is no service person within 150 miles of my location.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of. The unit is approx 17 years old if that helps.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
10/4/2017
HVAC Technician: Michael Ferryman,
 replied 10 months ago
Michael Ferryman

there is a switch that will take the unit offline if your condensate pan is too full, when these switches trip its acts much like you are describing

Sorry. Pan is dry. Two drain lines from the pan join in a Y that empties into a small lift pump. All of these are dry.
Right now the filters are out for an added wash and the core is getting another long soak. Also, all power to the unit is off so I don't see an advantage in discussing anything now. I have tried the blower unit to see if it spins OK and it does, There was no function at the control pad with the humidistat knob. Not sure what to examine next.
HVAC Technician: Michael Ferryman,
 replied 10 months ago

ok ill wait on you no problem, let me know when you want to pick this back up.

HVAC Technician: Michael Ferryman,
 replied 10 months ago

did you still need assistance with this. Don't forget to rate. cheers!

I put the filters back and etc. then put power and nothing. Took it apart again along with taking the dial and cover off the controller and used dust-off air on the control. Put everything back and put power. It then came on and did air exchange at the higher speed. It does not respond to the humidistat control which I can hear "click" on-off on the dial when turned. The unit will be on running or I can shut it off. It ran at the higher speed for at least 12 hours straight with no change. So at least to me it seems there is some problem with the control.
HVAC Technician: Michael Ferryman,
 replied 10 months ago

I can assist you with the control if you need more help, take a photo of if you can send me the make and model number of the control. thanks

I'll try to get a pic and numbers off the control later today. Might not be until Monday I'll be able to send a pic,
HVAC Technician: Michael Ferryman,
 replied 10 months ago

thats ok

I'll get a pic of the control panel today.
HVAC Technician: Michael Ferryman,
 replied 10 months ago
Ok
HVAC Technician: Michael Ferryman,
 replied 10 months ago
Did you still need assistance with this? If not can you give me a 5 star rating. Would really help me out. Thanks so much.
I forgot Monday was a holiday and won't get the pic ready until today, Wednesday.
HVAC Technician: Michael Ferryman,
 replied 10 months ago
Oh ok no problem
Took the pic but have yet to get it into a form I can send to you. Hopefully Thursday................
HVAC Technician: Michael Ferryman,
 replied 10 months ago
Ok I’ll be here no problem
HVAC Technician: Michael Ferryman,
 replied 10 months ago
Ok great, so we will need to our carevthe power source. I recommend removing the panel and attempting to identify the hot wire with a volt meter. If you can’t get power here we will need to begin tracing back to the source. If you are getting power here and that control is still not functioning properly that means it has an internal short and will need to be replaced.
There is power to the control.
1 When PUSH is pressed the MIN and EXCHANGE lights come on and the fan can be heard.
2 When PUSH is pressed a second time the MAX and EXCHANGE lights come on and the fan can be heard.
3 When PUSH is pressed a third time the 20/40 intermittent light comes on and the EXCHANGE light will come on and the fan heard on what seems a 20/40 cycle.
When moved the HUMIDISTAT knob will make audible clicks. The EXCHANGE light stays on in all positions but does put the unit on MAX if turned far enough.
The unit can be shut off using the PUSH button, but If the unit is on it seems to run continuously.
HVAC Technician: Michael Ferryman,
 replied 10 months ago

oh ok I see, so that knob is basically a potentiometer and it sounds like the internal portion of the knob where the metal points contact each other has worn and is shorting it self. I believe that is the noise you are hearing when you operate it. Its actually an electrical shorting a the points rub. If this is the case you definitely need to replace that humidistat, also you may even be at risk of fire when it is making that sound.

HVAC Technician: Michael Ferryman,
 replied 10 months ago

This is likely the cause of the unit continuously running also.

What do I do to determine the humidistat and where should I go for a replacement?
HVAC Technician: Michael Ferryman,
 replied 10 months ago

not sure what you mean to determine humidistat? For a replacement I would start at lowers or home depot. Humidistats are pretty common. You can also order online. In any event its not likely you will find a exact replacement.

HVAC Technician: Michael Ferryman,
 replied 10 months ago

make sure if you do remove your humidistat you take a photo of the wires so that you know how it was wired up.