HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a 2 zone house with an oil burner, 2 air handlers and…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a 2...
Hi, I have a 2 zone house with an oil burner, 2 air handlers and 2 AC units. The system is connected to a Taco SR 503 zone controller, with zone 1 being the water storage tank, zone 2 being downstairs and zone 3 being upstairs.I want to replace the zone 2 (downstairs) thermostat with an ecobee3. I have 6 wires available already in the wall from the old system (rounded Honeywell thermostat for heat/cool).From the downstairs air handler there are 8 wires coming out.* 2 purple connected to "boiler"
* 2 orange connected to "24v valve" but are capped and not used
* white / green / red and brown (which appears to be common)The previous setup is an incredible mess of wires and I'd rather just start over.I need a walkthrough of which wires to connect to the ecobee terminals (presumably Rc / W1 / Y1 and C?) and how to connect them to the unit downstairs and the zone board.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: HVAC
10/3/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 9 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, we can do a few tests to see if the ecobee will work with your Taco SR zone controller.

.

Take a photo of the zone controller with its door open so I can see all the wires and read the letter where each wire is terminated. Post it here using the 'add files' link next to your send button, and I will mark it up with test instructions.

We can go from there

Thanks for the reply... this is what things look like today...
IMG_20171003_011609392.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171003_011555574.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171003_111002796.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171003_011950129.jpgIMG_201...jpg

Thanks

I am looking it over now... back in a few minutes

Looking at the Taco zone controller wiring those are heating only thermostats, the cooling wiring is a custom arrangement that will require a very well qualified HVAC controls specialist to be on site to sort it out for you... his bill will be in the $500 to $1,000 range if not more, and if indeed he is able to connect your ecobee to that system, This is not a 'plug and play' sort of situation.

HVAC Technician: Michael Ferryman,
 replied 9 months ago
Michael Ferryman

you can wire any thermostat in place of the Honeywell one you are showing, what you definitely should not do is attempt to reinvent your system. Multi zone systems are typically not wired to the industry standard, for example red wires could be whatever they decided to use the red wire for. If you replace the thermostat and wire it like for like you should be in good shape. Take a picture of the back of the Honeywell before you remove it so you have something to fall back on. If you really want to rewire the system I can walk you through it but it will be extremely expensive and take likely a day or so to complete.

HVAC Technician: Michael Ferryman,
 replied 9 months ago

did you still need assistance with this?

HVAC Technician: Michael Ferryman,
 replied 9 months ago
Do you still need my help? If not can you give me a 5 star rating. Would really help me out. Thanks so much.