HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I had a new furnace & central air conditioner installed on…

Customer Question
I had a new furnace...
I had a new furnace & central air conditioner installed on 9/13. On 9/20 my septic backed up into my finished basement (mostly "grey" water & not very deep-less than 1" in most places). It was determined that the cause of the problem was related to the install of my new HVAC unit. My old furnace was located upstairs (ground level) & the new one was being installed in the basement. When the installers shut off the breaker to my old furnace to take it out, they left the breaker off thinking that the furnace was the only thing on that breaker, but unfortunately my septic pump was also hooked up to that breaker. I have had a remediation company come to my home to clean/sanitize & dry but unfortunately the vinyl plank flooring in my basement had to be completely torn out. I have been assured by the HVAC company that they accept responsibility & will pay for the clean-up/damages but I have yet to see an insurance adjuster. I am reluctant to file my own claim as I already had to file one earlier in the year for damages related to a wind storm. I guess I would like to know what any of you would do in the same situation? I am also concerned that there may be damage that our untrained eyes might miss. I thought of hiring a public adjuster, thoughts? This will be an expensive claim (remediation could cost up to $10000 & the flooring may cost as much as $4000), not something we can take to small claims court in the event we have to sue them. I have heard that most contractors actually have very small liability insurance, is that true? We have been trying to get quotes from local flooring companies but where do we go from here? Also, I currently still "owe" the HVAC company for the balance of their work ($3600), should I pay them (seems a little wrong right now)? Sorry for all the questions, kind of lost...
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
10/3/2017
HVAC Technician: Elliott Oxton, HVAC Mechanic replied 10 months ago
Elliott Oxton
Elliott Oxton, HVAC Mechanic
Good day, my name is ***** ***** I have worked in the hvac industry for over 15 years. The last few years I have owned my own business and thus had to understand and protect myself and my clients from the sort of things you have described.
First of all I'm sorry to hear what has happened. It is never nice to be faced with this kind of problem. I will do I can to offer advise but obviously this will be from a trade rather then a legal point of of view.If I was in your position I would try to do the following:
1. The company has claimed liability. Have they just told you that over the phone or when they visited? You will be best to get it in writing from them. Maybe write them a nice email to get them to confirm their liability. Perhaps avoid letting them know how much it will cost to repair at this time. Just get the proof that they have accepted liability.
2. Phone your insurance company and explain to them what has happened and that they have claimed liability and ask them how to proceed. It doesn't matter if you have already claimed this year. Sometimes unforseen accidents happen which is why we get insurance. Before taking step 2 perhaps wait to hear from the company about their liability and what they are doing to resolve it.
3. Most companies liability insurance will cover at least 100,000 USD and if it is a bigger company it is more then likely to be into the millions. This should not be a problem.
With regards ***** ***** payment of the remaining balance you should be carefully think about what to do here. Don't presume that you shouldn't pay as it may have an effect on the contract of the works. Did you sign a contract in anyway or was it just an agreement? Either way I would suggest do one step at a time. Get proof from them of their liability. Then proceed from there.Your email could mention something like: 'just wanted to confirm our conversation dated xxxx where you said that your business excepted liability to the damage's caused. What is the next step in order to fix the damages done'.After they have put down in writing their liability then you can talk openly about the next steps of legal action and the final payment.Please let me know what you think and if there is any other information that may help us with this. I hope I can help you further and look forward to hearing back from you.Warm regards
Elliott
Thank you for your response. The day after I posted the question we actually did hear from the HVAC company's insurance adjuster. They have already covered the bill for the cleaning/remediation and now we are just trying to get quotes for the work that needs to be done so that we can present it to the adjuster. We have also received the final bill for the HVAC work (yes we are under contract). I feel more comfortable writing the final check for the work now. Despite everything I feel like they did do a decent job on my HVAC work & I forgive them for the mistake.... the septic backing up & damaging my basement still sucks though. Why couldn't the breaker just have been tied into an outlet? ;) Hopefully we don't receive any push back about the rest of the repairs but I'm trying to stay positive & hopeful.Thanks again,
Holly
Good day Holly.
I'm so pleased to hear the good news regarding the company. They sound like an honest company that made a genuine mistake but we're willing to admit it. Sometimes a rare thing these days.Hope it is all sorted soon.Please could you do one final thing for me and rate my response to your question? You can do this by clicking on the star rating you feel is most appropriate. This is the only way I am compensated by the website for my work. I really appreciate your responses and support and thank you for using this service with your problem. We hope you can turn to us again if anything comes up in the future.Thank you again and warm regards,
Elliottn