HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My portable ac is getting no power at all, I tried the

Customer Question
breakers, a hard reset, and...
My portable ac is getting no power at all, I tried the breakers, a hard reset, and even changing the plug. Nothing seems to work I am at a lost
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 day by:
10/3/2017
HVAC Technician: Michael Ferryman,
 replied 10 months ago
Michael Ferryman

where the plug enters the unit there should be a fuse near this location. Can you find and check this fuse, thanks

HVAC Technician: Michael Ferryman,
 replied 10 months ago

you are getting zero power on the system at all and it does not appear to have a fuse inline according to the schematic. What you will have to do is take the unit apart and and jump out the circuit one part at a time until you find where you are loosing your voltage. Then you will have to find a part to replace the part that is causing you to loos your voltage. I think at this point it may be best to look at a replacement. One thing I would check is there are two sensors at the top of the schematic, maybe high water level for a condensate pan? or something like that. check those out and see what you find.

HVAC Technician: Michael Ferryman,
 replied 10 months ago

I know high water level sensors on some units for the condensate pan can take a unit offline and make it look like it has no power.

I am sorry I am a little confused what do you mean by jump the circuits one at a time? I apologize for not understanding. I do know a bit about electric but not much about hvac
HVAC Technician: Michael Ferryman,
 replied 10 months ago

So if you test for voltage across a closed circuit you will get no voltage, if you test for voltage across a open circuit you will get a voltage reading. So you start with a lead on your source of power where you know you have voltage, then put the other on a point where power should be. If you get no reading its a closed circuit and you are good, keep going until you get some voltage then you found your voltage loss location or open circuit.

Hey Michael, I appreciate your help with all of this but it seems that the unit will not power up. I ended up having to bring it in for a tech to look at it
HVAC Technician: Michael Ferryman,
 replied 10 months ago

ok take care and thank you for choosing just answer. Don't forget to rate me :-) we win prizes for high ratings :-)

HVAC Technician: Michael Ferryman,
 replied 10 months ago
Did you need any further help with this? If not can you give me a 5 star rating. Would really help me out. Thanks so much.