HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Having problems with my furnace. have replaced the pressure…

Customer Question
Having problems with my...

Having problems with my furnace. have replaced the pressure sensor, the electric ignitor, and the thermostat, but it still wants to cycle on and off.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

I!m not sure. had the gas pressure checked and a service person look at it, but no solution was made.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I F I CAN, AND IF ISNT TO COMPLICATED.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

WHAT IS YOUR RECOMENDATION?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/1/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 8 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation. WHat is the brand and model number of your unit?

carrier weathermaker 8000

What do you get for an error flash code on the control baord LED when the unit fails?

I, HAVENT CHECKED THAT. THE FURNAC IS A CARRIER WEATHMAKER 8000.

I can't help you if you can't tell me what error the control board is displaying. The brand and series (Weather maker 8000 is not the model) doesn't help.

OK, I!LL LOOK FOR THE MODEL # ONE MOMENT PLEASE.

I need the flash code. I can't help you without it

CAN!T SEEM TO FIND A MODEL #.WHERE MIGHT IT BE?

The model number is ***** for now. I need the LED flash sequence. How many long and short flashes?

OK, YOU CAUGHT ME OFF GUARD. LET ME TRY AND START THE FURNACE. IS THE INDICATOR LIGHT ON THE CONTROL BOARD?

Yes, you should be able to see it through the peep hole in the blower compartment access panel. Don't remove the panel. That erases the code.

OK STANDBY.

ok

NEVER SAW ANY BLING LIGHT.THERE IS A RED LIGHT THAT STAYS ON ALL THE TIME . PROBLEY A POWER INDICATOR.
RAN THE UNIT A FULL CYCLE BUT NO LED BLINKING LIGHT.

If the LED doesn't blink there and it ran for a full cycle what's the problem?

O.K THE PROBLEM IS THAT THE UNIT WANTS TO START SHORTLY AFTER THE FURNACE HAS FINISHED RUNNING. THE GAS COMES ON AND IGNITES FOR ABOUT 15 SECONDS AND GOES OFF. THE FAN WILL RUN FOR ABOUT 2 MINUTES, AND THEN TURN OFF. THIS HAPPENS TILL I TURN THE STAT DOWN.

Is the thermostat satisfied when it initially shuts down?

THE UNIT WILL RUN GOOD THE FIRST TIME , B UT WILL CYCLE ON AND OFF AFTER THAT

I'm going to open this up to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.

I WOULD ASSUME THAT THE STAT IS SATISFIED.
HVAC Technician: Michael Ferryman,
 replied 8 months ago
Michael Ferryman

You need to replace your thermostat, its causing your unit to short cycle.

HVAC Technician: Michael LaMott,
 replied 8 months ago
Michael LaMott

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I may be able to help.

The problem may be a dirty flame sensor.

Was the furnace working fine previously and then started short cycling?

HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru,
 replied 8 months ago
HVAC Guru
Phone call session started
thank you for you response. i again checked the led light and it was a short and long and short blink. does that help any?it did it again as i watched it. i found the flame sensor. could that be the problem?
the furnace had been working previously, then started cycling on and off.
cleaned the flame sensor with fine sandpaper,as suggested. ran furnace thru a cycle. after about ten minuets, it tryied to run again, but did not do so. led light blinks one long and one short,then one long. hope i viewed it right.
thermostat is new.the pressure switch is new. the ignitor is new. cleaned the flame sensor. what next?
also has new filter. ran great for the last 5 years till now.
HVAC Technician: Michael Ferryman,
 replied 8 months ago
Unfortunately it sounds like are have a issue with the heat strips on the unit... when the unit shuts off how are you resetting it?
HVAC Technician: Michael LaMott,
 replied 8 months ago

If you have a multimeter that reads microamps DC, you can check the flame sensor and see if you get a min of .5 microamps dc. Normal should be around 4.0 to 6.0 for your furnace. Check by simply disconnecting the wire to the sensor, and use the meter leads in series (one lead on the sensor terminal and one lead on the disconnected wire...

would it be wise just to buy a new flame sensor? by replacing the flame sensor, and the furnace still does the same thing, what then?
HVAC Technician: Michael LaMott,
 replied 8 months ago

I really don't like replacing parts until we check them out- if possible.

I am thinking the flame sensor could still be the problem or it may be the pri***** *****mit switch.

The flashing code you saw doesn't indicate a problem. If it were flashing more than once, it would indicate a problem.

Have you noticed any other codes since you last posted?

where is the pri***** *****mit switch? how would i check it? i shut the stat down after the first cycle, so it does not start to try and come on and off.
have not checked any more codes.
HVAC Technician: Michael LaMott,
 replied 8 months ago

The pri***** *****mit is located behind the burners and the gas valve. It has 2 wires going to it. It is attached to the sheet metal panel with 2 screws.

You can bypass it (TEMPORARILY FOR TESTING ONLY) by disconnecting the wires and connecting those 2 wires together...

If the furnace works and does not shut down, That switch may be the culprit.

ok i will try it tomarrow.
HVAC Technician: Michael LaMott,
 replied 8 months ago

Any luck with this?

HVAC Technician: Michael Ferryman,
 replied 8 months ago
Did you need any further assistance with this? If not can you give me a 5 star rating. Would really help me out. Thanks so much.