HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My thermostat is not working. Replaced the batteries but the…

Customer Question
My thermostat is not...

My thermostat is not working. Replaced the batteries but the temp isn't showing up on the screen. no action on the fan or heat.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Filters?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends how difficult it is - not up to wiring

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It is a White and Rogers Therm.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
10/1/2017
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 10 months ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

Hello, one minute while I get some information together.

Ok if nothing is happening on the unit get at the wires to the thermostat and disconnect the RED and GREEN wires from the thermostat and connect them together and see if the fan runs. If it does not then what likely happened is the low voltage fuse in the furnace or airhandler blew. There typically is a SLOT STYLE 3-5AMP FUSE on the board itself inside the furnace/airhandler like this.

CLICK HERE

If that is burned out all power to the thermostat will be lost. 95% of all units use some sort of SLOT FUSE or inline BUS STYLE FUSE to protect the low voltage circuit. You need to find that and change it out. If you just bump two wires together you could have just popped it without even knowing it. Now if for some reason your unit does not use a fuse often the board will be damaged due to the short. You would need to confirm you have 24 volts to the board inside the furnace/airhandler with a volt meter to make sure though.

Note if you have a condensate pump check the float and make sure the pump is not full of water...as that could cut low voltage power to the unit as well if the pump is not working and full of water.

All I ask is please select the ***5 STAR RATING*** using the link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.