HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I changed my batteries in the Aprilaire thermostat because…

Customer Question
Hi, I changed my...

Hi, I changed my batteries in the Aprilaire thermostat because the backlight no longer lit and when I put in the new batteries the only thing that I read is the word OFF. It was a new pack of batteries so I'm quite sure it is not those. What am I doing wrong? It was working fine before I took the old batteries out.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Just the thermostat

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Well yes, I'm just trying to change the batteries and it doesn't seem to connect

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
I just saw that you are going to charge me more than the $5. You need to be upfront with your charges, not wait until I'm waiting for your answer and you have all my credit info. For $42 I can get a new thermostat so it make no sense to pay you $36. No thanks.
9/30/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 10 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, remove the batteries, reinstall them *backwards* wait 2 minuits, reinstall them in the correct position, tell me if that works or not. Try that first. It has about a 50% chance of working. Consider this free advice if you are not happy with the charges.

did not work
I will call the person who replaced it several years ago on Monday. Thanks.

Thanks, ***** ***** new thermostat... that can be tricky however, there are many different types, some say they fit all systems and installation... its good idea to call that installer