HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I changed my batteries in the Aprilaire thermostat because…

Customer Question
Hi, I changed my...

Hi, I changed my batteries in the Aprilaire thermostat because the backlight no longer lit and when I put in the new batteries the only thing that I read is the word OFF. It was a new pack of batteries so I'm quite sure it is not those. What am I doing wrong? It was working fine before I took the old batteries out.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Just the thermostat

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Well yes, I'm just trying to change the batteries and it doesn't seem to connect

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
I just saw that you are going to charge me more than the $5. You need to be upfront with your charges, not wait until I'm waiting for your answer and you have all my credit info. For $42 I can get a new thermostat so it make no sense to pay you $36. No thanks.
9/30/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 7 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, remove the batteries, reinstall them *backwards* wait 2 minuits, reinstall them in the correct position, tell me if that works or not. Try that first. It has about a 50% chance of working. Consider this free advice if you are not happy with the charges.

did not work
I will call the person who replaced it several years ago on Monday. Thanks.

Thanks, ***** ***** new thermostat... that can be tricky however, there are many different types, some say they fit all systems and installation... its good idea to call that installer

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer