HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have old Compressor using R22. I replaced: 1)

Customer Question
HI! I have old...

HI! I have old Bryant Compressor using R22. I replaced: 1) timer/deforst brd, 2) Deforst Stat, 3) 24V Contactor, and 4) 24v Reversing Valve coil. At blower unit, replace burned out transformer and connected new thermostat.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Question: Now it runs in AC cooling mode and compressor comes on, but in heating mode, it seems to only heat with electrical element and the compressor not coming on?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Actually had 2 repairmen come, one replace transformer and another diagnosed timer/defrost brd as bad... So I replace all items, except transfomer.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Question, In heat mode, is there a temperature sensitivity before the compressor should kick in? Like there isn't enough temperature differnce?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
Problem: When I turn on to heat, blower works and hot air from vents, except compressor not coming on. So I believe it's heating ONLY by electric coils. When should compressor kick in, after 5-minute, right? But not coming on....
what could be the problem with compressor???
If problem is with the replaced transformer (gone bad again), I'd expect that in AC mode compressor also would not function, but it does!
9/30/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 7 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, so far it sounds like the O/B terminal on the thermostat is not connected properly... I need the brand and model number of the new thermostat, and a photo of the wire connections there, I need to know which color wire attached to each terminal on the OLD thermostat... you can attach those here using the 'add files' link next to your send button.

We can go from there

Will do!

Great, I will be here

I noticed on 1st Flr wiring, W2 (or White) is jumpered at Aux and E (emergency heat) and black is wired to "C" which cheaper thermostat does not have....
Phil, any advice to offer? Try other thermostat or something else to check?

Hello, tape the old C and L wires.

Try the system as you have it wired in both heating and cooling modes, the outside unit should run in both cases, the largest copper tube connected to the outside unit should be cool in cooling mode and hot in heating mode.

Let me know how that goes in the simplest terms possible we can go from there

Taped wires but didn't work to get compressor to engage during heat mode. Unsatisfied with advice and ending service!

These things are far far from simple, it takes several steps to get it right in many cases, let me know if you would like to continue or not, we can go from there

Not continuing!

These things are far far from simple, it takes several steps to get it right in many cases, let me know if you would like to continue or not, we can go from there. I have been here now for 7 years, with 8,600 questions answered, with a 98.4% success rate..

Ok, goodby in that case sorry it didnt work out

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer