HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My Nordyne furnace blower starts immediately when I turn on…

Customer Question
My Nordyne furnace blower...

My Nordyne furnace blower starts immediately when I turn on the switch. The LED light on the control board flashes 5 times. There is no flame.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

Yes. I removed the filter entirely for a test.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can. I'm pretty competent.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The blower started coming on by itself in the summer time, so I shut off the main switch. At least once while I have been troubleshooting, it went through the sequence and fired properly. Now it wont't.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/30/2017
HVAC Technician: Regan Land, HVAC Technician replied 7 months ago
Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to assist you today. Can you please provide the full model # for the furnace?

It's M1MB077ABW
Serial # M1M001106168

Okay, thank you. I show 5 flashes is "115 vac & neutral reversed or no ground." Has there been any electrical work done recently?

No.

Okay, let's check in the furnace to make sure the unit is grounded first. Take a look where the power comes into the unit and see if there's a copper ground wire that connects to the cabinet of the furnace.

ad connection is tight.8

Okay, let's go ahead and try to reverse polarity just to eliminate that as a possible problem. First, turn the power to the unit off, then remove the wire nuts on the two wires coming into the unit and swap them. Then turn power back on and see if you still get the 5 fashes.

Yep, still 5 flashes.

Okay, go ahead and switch the wires back. Do you happen to have a volt meter?

I have one. It will take a few minutes to get it.

No problem - Go ahead and test volts AC between L1 and and of the NEUTRAL terminals on the control board.

OK, got it.

Okay, good. Let me know what you read between L1 and Neutral on the board

No reading L1 and neutral. But I found that I can restore connection and get steady light by holding in on the connector. That seems to be where the problem is.

Yeah, signs were pointing to a bad control board. Is the terminal on the wire loose on the terminal on the board? If so, you could use a pair of pliers to tighten the connector on the wire so it fits tight on the terminal on the board. If the terminal is tight then it looks like we have a loose solder joint on the board, which would require a re-solder on the connection or a new control board.

I'll check.
Okay thanks
Wires seem tight, and now I can't get a connection, so it probably is a solder loose. I will remove the control board and try re soldering before replacement.

Okay, let me know what you find

Good afternoon - Did you have any luck finding a loose solder connection on the board?

Regan Land
Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician