HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I was just looking for a little bit of advice. I noticed…

Customer Question
Hi! I was just...

Hi! I was just looking for a little bit of advice. I noticed that when I got out fo Bed this morning, that it was a bit warmer than usual. My Nest thermostat read 78 when it is supposed to be 70. I felt the air blowing from the vents and it was as if it was just the fan that was on. I turned it off and waited about 5 minutes. I then went outside and turned the unit on from my phone (I have a Nest thermostat) so that I could watch to see what the unit is doing. It made a click, and then did not do anything else. This entire unit was replaced about a month ago for previous problems. I’m starting to think that it was never the unit in the first place. I was recently reading something about a contractor shorting out or something?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Yes, it’s set to cool on 70. And the filters are also recently changed.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No, I was going to contact the apartment maintenance, but I have honestly lost a bit of faith in them since this problem hasn’t truly been fixed yet.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Well, like I said the unit just makes one “click” sound and then does nothing further.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/30/2017
HVAC Technician: Regan Land, HVAC Technician replied 10 months ago
Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to assist you today. The click you're hearing is likely the contactor pulling in - so it's either not getting voltage or is not making good contact to send voltage through contactor to power the fan and compressor. Do you feel comfortable opening the unit? And do you happen to have a volt meter?

I live in an apartment complex so I don’t believe I have authorization to do so, but I just checked my breaker switches. (I should have done this first.) And the A/C unit had been flipped? I guess my real question now is, what causes it to flip?

If it's an ongoing issue with the old unit and still doing it with the new unit I'd say it's likely a weak or undersized breaker. Weak breakers will get hot while the unit is running and, even though the unit isn't pulling close to the amps the breaker is rated for, will cause the breaker to trip. If it's undersized then it just needs to be replaced with the proper size. Take a look at the data label on the outdoor unit and see if it has the minimum and maximum breaker size listed then see what the breaker size for the unit is. If it's not listed on the label I can look it up if you can provide the model #.

Did you have any additional questions? If not, would you do me a favor and rate my services? Thank you!