HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a CPLJ18-1, I believe my thermostat is gone. I found…

Customer Question
I have a CPLJ18-1, I...
I have a CPLJ18-1, I believe my thermostat is gone. I found a AA battery inside the thermostat that exploded sometime last night. I bought a Honeywell RTH6350D, per the gentlemen working at my local lowes. However after much research and trial and error I still cannot get the thermostat to turn anything on. I also grab the thermostat from upstairs which is the same as downstairs and hooked it up and I'm still not getting anything. Please help!
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/30/2017
HVAC Technician: Regan Land, HVAC Technician replied 7 months ago
Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to assist you today. Let's start by figuring out if you have power going to the thermostat. Was there a wire connected to the C terminal?

Regan, please forgive the delayed response. However, here are the wires I have:
Old Therm Color of
Connection Wire
Y1 = Yellow
E = Green
W2 = White
G = Brown
O = Orange
R = Red
C = BlueI have also attached a picture of the old and new thermostats. Please let me know what you thinbk. Also I took the thermostat from upstairs since it is the same as the down stairs. I hooked up and nothing.
I apologize that I wasn’t able to respond yesterday - my son broke is collarbone at morning football practice so I was with him all day. I’ll be in my office in a bit and can look over the pics and reply. Thank you.
Oh wow, as someone who as done that I can tell you it sucks. It is extremely painful.
No worries on response, hit me up when you get time.

Yeah, he's in pain but he'll be okay. Okay, looking at the photos... did you take that picture of the old one prior to removing it? The reason I ask is that green is typically on G.

No, however I went by what I had written down prior to removing. If I put Green into G where does Brown go?

Should be E, but to make sure we need to check the wiring at the indoor unit. Can you open the panel on the unit and take a pic of the wiring there? I'm thinking you may have a blown low voltage fuse there as well. Look for a car type 5 amp fuse on the control board or for a fuse holder in the wiring and see if you can find one. If so, pull it and see if it's blown. If there is a blown fuse let's make sure we get the wiring correct before putting a new fuse in.

I hope you can respond fast, my family is roasting.Here are pics from the outside unit. This is the wiring from the small panel accessed from the outside. Is this the area I need to look in? Do you see what I need to check in this area? If this is not the right area, where do I need to look?Thanks,
Jon
1011171721.jpg1011171...jpg1011171722.jpg1011171...jpg1011171722a.jpg1011171...jpg1011171721b.jpg1011171...jpg1011171721d.jpg1011171...jpg1011171721a.jpg1011171...jpg1011171721c.jpg1011171...jpg

So sorry I wasn't able to get on yesterday evening! Everything in those pics of the outdoor unit looks okay... we need to check the indoor unit (air handler), though. It's the part that blows the air through the house. Do you know where that's located?

we have one in the basement and one in the attics. However you told me I needed to check the low voltage fuse on the outside unit. I still not found it. I sent those pics so you could tell me where it might be. Do I still need to check that?

If you look at my post I had said to check wiring and low voltage fuse on the indoor unit. Sorry if there was confusion. Open up the indoor unit that's not coming on and check to see if there's a fuse. Also, get a pic of the wiring and post it here so we can verify that thermostat wires are correct. Thanks!

oh crap, ok headed to the basement! Talk to you soon

Lol, standing by.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer