HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Payne Model PA10JA030-C, and it's currently not…

Customer Question
I have a Payne...

I have a Payne Model PA10JA030-C, and it's currently not working. I've tried replacing the fuses and still nothing happens. I'm thinking it could be the a/c run capacitor but I'm not sure which one I need to purchase.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

We haven't had our a/c for the past week.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No I think that's all I have. Other than the thermostat doesn't turn on but I'm assuming it's all linked together? My thermostat doesn't have an external battery supply for the lcd just fyi.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

I know that the a/c probably could use a new run capacitor as we've never touched it in years since moving in. Any other time the thermostat never turned on, I'd replace the fuses and it would fix it.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/29/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 10 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, Do you have 230 volts AC to the outside unit disconnect switch? If not check the breaker marked AC on your house breaker panel it may be tripped. If you have 230 volts there and you can hear the compressor humm heavily for a few seconds when you set the thermostat for cooling... then it could very likely have a bad run capacitor.

If you do not hear that heavy humm for 2 or 3 seconds, and the unit has been sitting idle for longer than an hour when you set it to cooling, then the capacitor is not the problem.

Tell me if the inside blower motor runs when you set the thermostats FAN switch to FAN ON... if not then its most likely a problem with the controls, anywhere from a bad thermostat to a bad printed circuit boar.

.

We can go from there without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed , after you rate this answer:

Select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it. Over half of my customers forget to rate my work. That is something like yourself getting a 60% pay cut. Its not sustainable.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally.. and with over 8,000 questions answered here since 2009, with a 98.5% satisfaction rating.

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

That said, I cannot guarantee that you will not do something unsafe, or cause damages. You take that risk.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

.

Tell me a little about your technical background and instruments on hand so that I can coach you most effectively. We can go from here.