HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Need a propane gas heat stove for small Air &. Sq Ft = 18x20…

Customer Question
Need a propane gas...

Need a propane gas heat stove for small Air B & B. Sq Ft = 18x20 (approx 400 sf). Debating between Jotul GF 200 DV II Lillehammer and the larger Jotul GF 300 DV IPI Allagash. My thoughts are that the larger one might have to 'work less" and would, perhaps last longer or have fewer repairs/replacements.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Also wondering why I should choose Jotul (over Quadra Fire or Napoleon etc.)

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Will hire a plumber/HVAC guy

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't know about filters or thermostat settings. Do you mean on the stove itself?? I will be purchasing a new product.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/28/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 11 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, if your renters forget to open a window, or do not open a window wide enough, and run the heater for more than 2 hours, such as all night, there is a good chance they will not wake in the morning.

Have you considered, that, we can discuss it without any time limits. For that reason, and in a tight space, and with renters that you cannot control I recommend an electric space heater, one that does not present a hot surface, such as Home Depot's oil filled standing radiator type.

Several friends of mine, a professor from Harvard, with her two children and a translator almost went to bed in Santiago Chile with a new propane heater installed, they did not open the windows, the kids got sick in an hour, after two hours they were vomiting... if they had gone to sleep, no one would have been alive in the morning

We can go from here

Electricity is too expensive. Presently there is a propane gas heater in the unit, but is too old to
get replacement parts so was shopping for another stove.
I don't think you answered the questions: TOPIC: Debating between Jotul GF 200 DV II Lillehammer and the larger Jotul GF 300 DV IPI Allagash
Also wondering why I should choose Jotul (over Quadra Fire or Napoleon etc.)Response to Co2 --- There are detectors there. I live in Colorado and that's required. Also I'm a Realtor with additional responsibilities in terms of rentals.
No, I don't want to talk technical jargon. I just wanted a clear, concise answer.
I think this isn't the site to get the answers I want.
Thanks for your time anyway.

Hello again, I can be as brief as you wish, I did however feel a duty to mention the hazards of gas or oil fired heaters.

Click here for the JotulGF 200 DV manual

Its vented, thats a safe choice especially in a small room. It is plenty large enough for a 400 sq ft room.

Click here for the larger Jotul manual... Its more heat than you need, unless there are non insulated sliding glass doors to the space, and you are in a climate that gets colder than 0F outside, then it might not be too large, the smaller unit should however work well in almost any 400 sq ft room