HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a 5 ton HVAC system and when I put on the AC its

Customer Question
surges and now it leaking...
I have a 5 ton HVAC system and when I put on the AC its surges and now it leaking water. Do I have to purge something? How can I fix this and why is it happening?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/28/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 10 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Can you provide more details:

1,What is surging?Indoor or out?

2.Any signs of ice in evaporator coil?

3.Does ac keep running or cycle on and off?

1. I hear the air surging high to low and I can hear like two pieces of metal banging but not loud.2. Not sure when is it located.3. When it starts to surge the ac still works fine and I see the temperature goes down but now its starting to leak but still functions fine

Are you able to open coil and access it? This ultimately sounds like you are going to end up having to get an onsite tech , but if you want to troubleshoot, I will do my best to guide you.We really need to know if coil is icing first.

If you can give me model on indoor unit I can guide more specifically

Its Rheem 5ton unit. Can't find the model number.Where would the coil be lcoated?
Also the unit is fairly new. Probably has about 150 hours max.

If unit is new,I recommend calling the dealer and let him diagnose and repair under warranty. Now for the model, there will be a label on front of the unit that lists the model.If a split system, it will be on inside air handler.

How long is the warranty? I believe it will be 2 years in a few months but was not used alot.

Unit will have 10 years if registered at time of installation,five years if not. Yu may have to pay labor.We give 2 years labor, but some companies only give one.

Like I said, I don't mind helping troubleshot, but in the end, you are going to most likely have a tech do actual repairs.If surging and leaking, very likely an issue with the blower or control board.