HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Replaced capacitor on my ac unit now it runs for about 30min…

Customer Question
Replaced capacitor on my...

Replaced capacitor on my ac unit now it runs for about 30min and stops. After a about 30 more min it starts back on its own. Repeating that sequence...

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

The filters in the inside is fine

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Maybe...if I could narrow down the problem

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No...thats about it. I changed the capicor because the fan was not running and humming. after that the fan came on but soon began the cycle I stated above

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/28/2017
HVAC Technician: Regan Land, HVAC Technician replied 10 months ago
Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to assist you today. Does the indoor unit continue to run when the outdoor unit shuts off?

its an all outdoor 3 tun package i can hear another fan running and a little air coming thru the vents so I can here it running but the fan is turning on initially and turning off in about 30 min and repeating that but I can hear the unit on and hear it shuting down when I control the thermostat

Okay, so it sounds like the indoor blower is running. Was the capacitor you replaced for the outdoor fan? Was it a dual capacitor that runs the compressor as well? If you would like you can take photos and post them to this chat.

Okay, thank you. Do you hear the compressor running when the fan shuts off? Or do you know if the contactor loses 24v and opens contacts to shut both fan and compressor off? Sorry for so many questions - I'm just trying to get a good idea of whats happening there so I know where to look.

I dont know if the contactor loses 24v but I dont hear the compressor when the fan stops

Could you do me a favor and check the contactor next time the fan shuts off and see if it's pulled in or if it opened? If it stays pulled in when the fan shuts off then we likely have something going on on with the motor/compressor on the high voltage side of things. If it loses 24v and opens up then we have something on the low voltage side of things (could be a freeze stat, low pressure switch, etc). Is the compressor definitely running and system cooling when the fan is running? Could you also let me know the make and full model # of the unit?

The model is a TRANE ycc036f1m0bd... older unit and I'll get back with you on the contactor. How long do i have to respond

This question will stay open for 30 days, so no hurry lol. I'll look up that unit and see if there's anything I notice from the wiring diagram.

Any luck checking the contactor?

Just checking in again. Let me know if you still need assistance.