HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

We are needing advise on a window air conditioner purchased…

Customer Question
We are needing advise on...
We are needing advise on a window air conditioner purchased 2015 year. The problem is: Hi, I have a 1 ton window A/c, and it cools fine, problem is condensate dripping inside of window below the evaporator end, and down the inside wall. I had a sears trouble shooter here and he told me too much caulking, and incline the unit raked (down outside). Today after at least five days of non use, I turned it on and kept checking for something to arise. I think I have a question about my unit for you. I could see a pressed in bead in the drain pan part of the unit, water filled that space but as yet has not overflowed. On the other side towards the house of the bead (dam) a drip is very slow but definite and might be my problem. The drip is coming from a refrigerant line at the bottom of the compressor at the rate of one drop every 3-4 sec. My idea is to get some what I call press tight. This would insulate the refrigerant line and guide the condensate water towards and into the other side of the (dam)? I do not know where I could get this a/c approved press tight material for this job? Further it comes in a spool of about 1" wide, it has brown wax like paper between, it resembles a tar like substance but it does not stain the bare hands, it has cork particles embedded in it, and it sticks easily to itself with a proper lap and adequate pressure to seal a spiral application over a (in this case) a cold refrigerant line and a drip there. Where do I get this material "press tight?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/27/2017
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 10 months ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

This is commonly available at hvac supply houses...but rarely found available to public via a home improvement store.

We aslo refer to this a TXV insulation tape.

If you see this link it will be one of the choices available.

Click Here

Many time on window or wall sleeve units there are small modifications, sealing, pitch etc.

Some of the newer units use a thermostatic controlled drain to get water out....it holds water in place to "sling" on coil to help cool the coil...when temps are lower this opens and drains water.

Billy