HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My pilot light isn't large enough to stay on. Just this week…

Customer Question
My pilot light isn't...

My pilot light isn't large enough to stay on

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just this week it's been off for summer wanted to start it up again

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/27/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 11 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Most likely the pilot orifice is partially clogged and needs to be cleaned. You do this by disassembling the pilot burner and passing a tiny wire (the hole is ~.010”) through the pilot orifice hole. You must do this even if you can see daylight through the hole. The pilot orifice is typically a small thimble shaped object that will either come out of the pilot burner when you remove the tubing at the pilot burner or it will stay in the pilot burner.