HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Carrier Infinity. How can I determine if the low…

Customer Question
I have a Carrier...

I have a Carrier Infinity. How can I determine if the low stage is working on the unit. When newer, often the fan would be at a very low rate of speed, and I don't think it is anymore, which I understand is the low stage of the compressor. Cooling fine, but at "full speed".

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

Filters are always clean -- I change ahead of schedule normally. How can I check this at the thermostat?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I need to determine if I have an issue. I have had a tech look at, and he indicated fresh capacitors are in order -- the unit now has all new fresh heart start and run capacitors, and I still don;t think the low stage is operating. If I can fix myself, I will.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/27/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 7 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, you need a clamp around amp meter, $50 at a big box electrical dept, or $28 at Harbor freight.

Then I can coach you on how to measure the systems amperage draw in both high and low speeds, we will then set the thermostat for cooling and down to 65F with the house at 75F that will put it into high speed, then measure the amperage draw of the blower, and the outside unit.

Then repeat with the cooling set to 73 or 74F and measure the amp draw at low speeds, that will tell us if the system is actually going into low speed mode effectively or not.

.

Regarding your mention of fan at high speed when outdoor unit is in low speed, that happens when the humidity is lower than the humidistat setting, and dehumidification is not required... when the humidity goes above the set point the system will put the blower in to a lower speed, this causes the cooling coil to run cooler, and draw more moisture from the air,

click here for pictures

.

We can go from there without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed , after you rate this answer:

Select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally.. and with over 8,000 questions answered here since 2009, with a 98.5% satisfaction rating.

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

That said, I cannot guarantee that you will not do something unsafe, or cause damages. You take that risk.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

.

Tell me a little about your technical background and instruments on hand so that I can coach you most effectively. We can go from here.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer