HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

New r410 condensing unit and new evaporator coil. gauges go…

Customer Question
New r410 condensing unit...

New r410 condensing unit and new evaporator coil. gauges go straight to retard when unit starts

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

All things new except line set

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I dont think so

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/26/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 8 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Are bot service valves open and what is model on unit?

service valves are open, dont have model number with me but its a goodmen

Do you have blue on large valve and red on small? And does it do same in cool or heat mode if it is a heat pump?Are you an ac tech?

i am a tech and have installed several of these units. just havent run into this before. my first thought was blockage but everything is new but line set and i can blow nitrogen through it

Thanks for this info. I work with experienced techs as well as folks who have no idea what a multi meter is,That is why I asked.Is this a single phase unit and are we working with single phase power supply?

all single phase.

Sounds like either a doa compressor or electrical issue.Are you in COOL mode and is it a heat pump or ac?

cool mode and it is a heat pump. also i changed condenser and evaporator coil twice just in case and doing the same thing both times

Same issue with two different condensing units?

Wow that is a weird one. If we had a restriction, high side would retard but suction would be at or near vaccuun

Have you verified proper voltage on each phase of power?

everything reads correct

I know it sounds next to impossible to be two compressors in a row, but if voltage is right, not much else I could think of.Like I say if it were a restriction both would not retard

im sorry i should have been more clear. Only the low side is going to retard. i am only showing around 150 on the high side on a 410 unit and also the last 8 compressors i got 5 were bad out of the box so not so crazy

If low side is retarding and you can blow through tubing with nitrogen , almost has the be an issue with the compressor.The reason I asked about single phase it it sounded to me like compressor was running backwards which can happen easily with a 3 phase unit

i am license electrician so i know about the phasing. just wondering if the compressor could be bypassing but i dont hear the usual hissing sound

Did you try heat mode just to see if it behaved differently?If not I would do that and verify not a bad reversing valve

that would suck. I did not try heat but i will. still 2 different units that would be weird to

I agree.No doubt whatever the issue is that something strange is going on.When can you go back ?

tomorrow morning

Let's try heat mode and see if we get a difference

i will try that and double check everything and see what i get.

Sounds like a plan.We will go from there

thanks

Thanks for letting work with you

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer