HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

After presetting temp to minus 20, it just keep running and…

Customer Question
After presetting temp to...

After presetting temp to minus 20, it just keep running and wont switch off, what could it be and can it be fixed

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

The last triip away in the van and it was for 2 weeks, has been turned off , but we tried it yesterday as we are going away in 3 weeks

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If its possible, our son in law is an electrician

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No thats about it, we are assuming its the thermostat, its working, but the motor just doesnt turn off

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

We have no idea what you are talking about, sorry

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/27/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 10 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, look for the compressor and condenser coil with a fan behind it at the bottom rear of the refrigerator in most cases... if its not there its at the top... make sure the condenser coil is clean on *both sides (it looks like a small radiator on a car).

We can go from there.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally.. and with over 8,000 questions answered here since 2009, with a 98.5% satisfaction rating.

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

.

Tell me a little about your technical background and instruments on hand so that I can coach you most effectively. We can go from here.

--------------