HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I spent 2 hours with Rick, will wait until he is

Customer Question
Please, I spent 2 hours...
Please, I spent 2 hours with Rick, will wait until he is available....
Rick, I left it for an hour to heat up, went back, no hot water. Now what?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/26/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 10 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Is the pump running?

no

Do you have a multi-meter to test voltage?

It's at my work, I can get it tomorrow AM

Test for 120 volts at pump. If you don't have it and the thermostat is still jumoed then you probably have a bad relay. If you have 120 vac replace the pump

My guess is the relay is OK since it clicked on and started the boiler. But the whole operation quit because the circulator didn't start. Right?

Relay can turn on burner but not pump if it's defective. It serves both functions

Now I know how little I know!
I'll report tomorrow
Thanks
to be continued...

ok

Hi Rick, Finally got the meter and there is no voltage at the circulator.
I've found a new identical relay for $5, but must wait for it to ship.
Is there a common unbranded or differently branded equivalent that might be stocked locally?
I meant $45!
are you working today ?

I don't know what's available where you are. Try a local plumbing supply house.

they don't have the Honeywell part- is a Taco SR501 equivalent??

You would have to conmpletely rewire the relay to use an SR501

Not me! Is there a "relay equivalent" database somewhere?

Not that I'm aware of

Ok Guess I'll wait for the right part!

ok

supposed to arrive Monday, I'll keep you posted on progress

ok