HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

We have your model AC unit B5 PM X36KB on it tends to freeze…

Customer Question
Hello we have your...

Hello we have your model AC unit B5 PM X36KB on it tends to freeze up on us at least once a year we change the filters big filter is there anything on the unit itself that we should be changing

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

Hello we have your model AC unit B5 PM X36KB where on the unit do I find the filter we always change the 24 x 24

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Unfortunately yes on a 62-year-old woman alone with my daughter that is in her 30s so we do the best we can and she just check to see if there was a filter on the unit up in the attic and she didn't find that but she did notice the unit is froze not a lot but it is frozen a little bit

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Unfortunately yes on a 62-year-old woman alone with my daughter that is in her 30s so we do the best we can and she just check to see if there was a filter on the unit up in the attic and she didn't find that but she did notice the unit is froze not a lot but it is frozen a little bitwe frequently change the big fountain the one that's in the entryway in the hallway and that's a 24 x 24 filter if there's another one on the unit itself I don't know

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/26/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 10 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, If its an older system the problem is caused by a dirty cooling coil and blower wheel in many cases.

.

If its a newer system, the problem is caused by not enough air flow or not quite enough refrigerant in the system.

.

Not enough air flow can be solved by setting the blower to a high speed (you need a technician for that).

Or not enough air is caused by air ducts slightly too small for the air flow needed,

.

Also, most systems will ice the coil if you set the thermostat below 70F when its also cool outside.

.

Look all that over and let me know what you think is most likely in your situation.

.

We can go from there without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed , after you rate this answer:

Select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally.. and with over 8,000 questions answered here since 2009, with a 98.5% satisfaction rating.

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Attach a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access door and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions then follow up with step by step training and coaching until you have a solution.

.

Photo must be exceedingly well focused. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo to me.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

.

Tell me a little about your technical background and instruments on hand so that I can coach you most effectively. We can go from here.