HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

The Honeywell THM5320R1000 RF Equipment Interface Module…

Customer Question
The Honeywell THM5320R1000 RF...

The Honeywell THM5320R1000 RF Equipment Interface Module does not appear to be working. The thermostat is saying "No signal." When I went to check the module, there are no lights on. I checked to make sure there is electricity by plugging in a hair dryer into the outlet the module is plugged into and the hair dryer worked, so it's not a question of power. Our A/C was working fine until about two hours ago.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

My guess it's just the module, as it appears not to be on because none of the lights are on, even though it is plugged into a working outlet. In addition, the thermostat itself appears to be working fine, except that it's saying there is "No

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Only if it is a quick and easy fix. If it requires more than, for example, pushing a couple of buttons to reset the module, then I won't be doing anything.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't think so. I'm fairly good with electrical/computer type issues, but not anything with HVAC.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
9/25/2017
HVAC Technician: Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician replied 10 months ago
Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician

Hi I'm Brian and I'll be happy to help with this issue.

Depending on the thermostat that connects to the EIM (THM5320 Equipment Interface Module), if the thermostat is battery powered or battery backed up, it sounds like your EIM has lost power. Usually, EIM's are powered from the indoor unit control transformer. However, you say "it's plugged in and the outlet works" so if it has a separate power supply, then that's where I would start. It could be as simple as a blown power supply if it's the plug in type.

If the thermostat is not running on batteries and is powered from the EIM at the R and C terminals to the thermostat, then chances are your EIM has gone bad. It would be helpful for me, if you wanted to trouble shoot further, if you had a meter that could measure 24 volts ac and you uploaded a picture of your EIM wiring here. But if the above info is enough for you, that's ok too!

-Brian

The thermostat is a battery operated TH6320r 1004; the EIM cord is plugged into a working electrical outlet. I checked the circuit box and no circuits had been tripped. I manually turned off and back on each circuit in the box just to make sure. The EIM should be getting electricity. However, because none of the lights are on, I'm guessing something internal has tripped or stopped working.
Ok, did my last message provide any useful information?
I got a second message about not taking the phone call. Does that mean no more online help?

The EIM works off of 24 volt power so there is a transformer either where it's plugged in or within the EIM enclosure or and enclosure right next to it. I would check that transformer before replacing the EIM! No, the phone call is an automated thing. We can still talk in text. I'm not able to fulfill a phone call request right now. It will open to other experts though, hopefully they won't pick it up.